Re: Kickoff Menu Config

On 08/02/11 10:49, Eric Griffith wrote:
Traditionally, one simply puts /home on its own partition, and installs
don't touch home except for (optional) user creation, which is otherwise
done afterward.  An admin then mounts /home and adjusts user/group
numbers for accounts found there to match what's already on the
preexisting /home. (This is done by editing the appropriate user and
group files in /etc, either as part of user creation or immediately
before/after user creation.)

And I used to do that, Duncan, putting /home seperately, but I stopped
after I had a cluster-fsck when switching distros with different
package versions that required different style configs... lets just
say it was ugly when I logged in after installing. Besides I like to
know what the 'default feel' of a distro, and if it automaticaly knows
to load my themes / wallpapers / sounds and stuff like that, then I
don't know what the devs worked so hard on. So, this set up lets me
just keep my actual files.

Amen!!  It is a major big problem.  It has been a lot more than "just ugly".
It doesn't understand the old settings and screws up the new settings
and leaves things basically unusable very often.

Here is an idea for a really useful utility:

   upgrade-configs $OLDHOMEDIR/.kde*

let each application that has new and better ways of doing things make the
old config files become newer and better instead of forcing hapless
users to choose between square 1 and a broken configuration.