Re: KDEPIM 4.6 prob^Wimpressions

On Wednesday, 2011-06-29, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 02:16:57 AM Kevin Krammer
>
> <kevin.krammer@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > On Tuesday, 2011-06-28, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > > Hi there!
> > >
> > > I did the big KDE 4.6.3 -> 4.6.4 upgrade. Along came the change to
> > > KDEPIM 4.6. I feared for the worst, and indeed, it didn't work too
> > > well.
>
> All this talk about trashed mail and such isn't very encouraging. Is there
> somewhere that explains what changes are afoot for this new release?

Basically moving the code that does sending/receiving/saving/loading of emails
out of KMail so it can be used independently.

A bit like mounting file systems into the local directory tree instead of each
program having to disk layouts or remote file system protocols.

> Right
> now it sounds like KMail is going to some big binary blob for all my mails
> a la Outlook, but that could be my own ignorance - perhaps someone could
> correct me on that.

Main local storage is maildir directory tree, with support for mbox files and
support for "mixed mode" directories (mbox folders inside a maildir tree).

> I'm looking at upgrading my Fedora to 15 and wonder if
> I'm going to get side-swiped with these hassles

Unlikely unless you upgrade to some experiemental version of your distribution
or a pre-version of your distribution's "late 2011" version.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring