Re: Building kdelibs

FWIW, I'm a Gentooer.  Gentoo builds from source using buildscripts
called ebuilds that list required dependencies and handle optional
dependencies using what Gentoo calls USE flags.

As a result, I've been able to help a number of people trying to build kde
manually by simply querying the Gentoo build system for kde's various
dependencies.  One guy (James Tyrer) in particular runs Linux from
Scratch, and builds KDE for it as updates come out, updating their KDE
documentation for others as he does so.  I've been able to help him
resolve missing dependencies on a number of occasions.

That leaves you with a number of potentially useful resources to choose
from.  Of course you could switch to Gentoo if you like, and get most of
the building automated thru the various scripts without losing a whole
lot since they still expose most of the build-time options as USE flags.
But even if you're not doing Gentoo, you can either post questions here
and I can check dependencies, or you could download a Gentoo build tree
and check them yourself, or simply check their sources on the web.

Alternatively and probably easier to follow as the basics will already
have been distilled into a reasonably nice set of instructions to follow,
you can find and follow the LFS kde building instructions as maintained
by James Tyrer, with the caveat that as every minor version (4.5, 4.6,
4.7...) comes out, it takes some days/weeks for their build instructions
to be fully updated.

FWIW, the gentoo/kde project has live builds that they try to keep in
sync with kde upstream, so most of the updates are already understood
when an update comes out, it's just a matter of actually transferring
them from the live build scripts to the specific version scripts.  Given
that kde makes the new tarballs available to the various distributions
several days before public release, by public release, the scripts are
generally already updated in the gentoo/kde project overlay, which I
follow, and moved to the general kde tree within another week or so after
final testing... kde sometimes updates one of the tarballs after release
to the distributions so the final checksums need to be updated, etc.  So
they move to the general kde tree pretty fast, tho unmasking to arch-
testing can take a bit longer and moving to full stable can take months
-- they just stabilized 4.6.2, before which the latest gentoo kde stable
was 4.4.5, IIRC.  But the initial masked-for-testing ebuilds are
generally in the gentoo/kde overlay before upstream public release, and
in the main gentoo tree within days of release.

James, the LFS guy, doesn't appear to follow the pre-releases or live-
builds, so he's typically some days to weeks behind Gentoo's move of the
build-scripts to the general tree.  I believe he tends to finally get the
4.x.0 instructions up about time kde upstream 4.x.1 comes out a month
later.  But after the initial minor-release update, the rest in the
series are far easier as they're much smaller bumps with far fewer
changes.  So in general, 4.x.1 thru 4.x.5 can continue to use the 4.x.0
instructions.  It's only with the bump to 4.y.0 that serious changes
occur, forcing changes to the LFS build instructions that again take a
month, perhaps six weeks, to work their way thru.

So... if you'd like me to post the gentoo dependency list for kdelibs,
let me know.  As I said, such things have helped James and occasionally
others work out dependencies for their builds, occasionally.  Or you can
look them up yourself, checking the gentoo/kde public sources, but it
might take a bit of extra digging to figure out the notation they use.

--
Duncan

Duncan,

I am on RHEL. I am getting this when configuring kdelibs using kdesrc-build:

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
DBUSMENUQT_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
   used as include directory in directory /home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui
   used as include directory in directory /home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui/about
   used as include directory in directory /home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui/tests
   used as include directory in directory /home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui/tests/kconfig_compiler
   used as include directory in directory /home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui/tests/proxymodeltestsuite
   used as include directory in directory /home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui/tests/proxymodeltestapp
   used as include directory in directory /home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui/sonnet/tests
DBUSMENUQT_LIBRARIES (ADVANCED)
    linked by target "kdeui" in directory /home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui

I installed dbus* but that didn't seem to help.

Any thoughts?

David