Re: No Krunner (Alt-F2) on fresh install of Kubuntu 11.04 (KDE 4.6.3)

Dotan Cohen posted on Tue, 10 May 2011 00:58:57 +0300 as excerpted:

> On a fresh install of Kubuntu 11.04 (KDE 4.6.3) I cannot access Krunner
> or any other Alt-F* shortcuts. What might be the cause of this? The
> keyboard works fine, tested on another computer, and I tried a second
> keyboard here as well.

It may be that for some reason it's using a keyboard mapping your not used
to, and for instance, alt and ctrl are reversed, or one alt key is mapped
to something other than alt.

Try running xev from a konsole window, then hitting keys to see how they
are registered.  (Keypresses and mouse movement and keys will be output to
the konsole window.)

If they're showing up there as expected (see the keysym parenthetical in
the middle of the third line of each key event, to see what X is
interpreting it as), the next question is what is kde doing with them?

In kcontrol (systemsettings that aren't systemsettings, they're user-
specific kde specific settings!), common appearance and behavior, global
keyboard shortcuts, select run command interface from the dropdown, and
click on run command, to see its settings.

You can also try changing them.  Hit the button beside the custom radio-
button and enter the key you want to use.  If you hit a modifier like alt,
it'll show up with a plus beside it, indicating that you need to hit a non-
modifier key as well.  In this way you can both test to be sure that kde
is actually seeing the various keys and see what they show up as, AND
remap to some other shortcut, if necessary.

You can similarly remap the other alt-F* shortcuts, if necessary.

Hopefully you'll be able to take it from there, or at least report
results, if not.  The big questions are (1) is X seeing the keys and what
is it reporting them as, assuming it does see them, and (2) what is kde
doing with these keys?  These procedures are what I first turn to, to
diagnose such problems.  Fixing them... well, let's see what the diagnosis
shows, first.