Re: Strange display in KMail of HTML mail.

phillips88 posted on Fri, 02 Apr 2010 07:09:35 +1100 as excerpted:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 22:55:42 Duncan wrote:
>> > KMail 1.13.1; KDE 4.4.1
>> >
>> > I received an email which displayed as follows:-
>> >
>> > ÿþ
>>
>> Try viewing the raw mail (aka the source code).  The default kmail
>> hotkey for that is "v".
>
> Is this how your mail should look when "raw":-

cGhpbGxpcHM4OCBwb3N0ZWQgb24gVGh1LCAwMSBBcHIgMjAxMCAyMDo0NTo0NSArMTEwMCBhcyBl

> etc?

That's what's called "encoded".  It happens in one of two cases.

1) If the mail has an attachment, the attachment will be encoded.  The
reason there is that internet mail isn't 8-bit-clean; binary files cannot
be sent as-is; they must be encoded into text first, then decoded on the
other end.

2) Spammers sometimes use encoding to obfuscate a message so it's more
difficult for the anti-spam filters to properly filter.

In either case, the message headers, to, from, subject, the received
headers for tracing, etc, should show up unencoded.

If it's an attachment, there will normally be a readable text message as
well, tho if it's a friend sending just a picture (say) to a friend, the
text message may be skipped and it'll only have the attachment.  If it's
spam and the spammer is deliberately obfuscating it using encoding, there
may well be no unencoded body, or only a very short javascript to do the
unencoding, depending on what time of encoding was used.