Re: Chronograph Plasmoid

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Pierre Rosado posted on Mon, 30 Nov 2009 03:09:46 -0500 as excerpted:

> Do you know about any chronograph plasmoid?
>
> Thanks in advanced,
>
> PD: Timer plasmoid does not have the option.

Stop-watch?  Or a graph of <something> over time, aka a plotter?
What <something>?

I am looking a stop watch, a plasmoid like wmtimer with timer and stop watch.

If you're looking for the former, have you checked kde-look.org?  I've
not needed that functionality, but given the variety of plasmoids at
kdelook...

If the latter, there's all sorts of options, including "the application
formerly known as ksysguard" (generically aka system monitor, altho all
the system monitor plasmoids are something entirely different, the
problem with generic names, thus taking the hint from Prince for "The
application formerly known as...", superkaramba and its various themes,
yasp-scripted (kdelook) and its various themes, various other plasmoids,
etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, I am going to check them out.

FWIW, yasp-scripted could be reasonably easily setup for the former as
well, as it's very flexible (almost like superkaramba, but without the
locationals, as it simply takes stuff in order, thus less complex than
superkaramba).  Much of the flexibility lies in its scriptability, since
it's possible to have it report in text, plot or bar-graph form, the
output of any arbitrary command, including shell scripts, python/perl/php/
ruby/whatever scripts, c/c++ native executables, etc.  I only do shell
scripting, but am already envisioning the shell script implementation,
using a date command to initialize, then comparing the output of a
current data command against the initial date command with some simple
math, and formatting the output as dd:hh:mm:ss... such an implementation
wouldn't be accurate enough tho, to do more than second accuracy, and
that not reliably.  Given the limitations of plasma (the display loop
must be single-threaded for various technical reasons), plus the various
scheduling limitations depending on the kernel you run and its config,
etc, sub-second accuracy isn't likely to be too good in any case, even if
it's a 100% native coded plasmoid.  Perhaps that's why nothing of that
nature is shipped by default, tho it's quite likely someone's implemented
it as a plasmoid anyway, and put it up on kdelook.