Re: Is there a way to get a kde3 color scheme into kde4?

James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@xxxxxxx> posted 4A67A812.2080603@xxxxxxx,
excerpted below, on  Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:00:18 -0700:

> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> James Richard Tyrer wrote:

>>> First, I note that the KDE3 KCM has links from preview to the colors
>>> would be a great help.
>>
>> Wow, it took forever to parse that.
>
> Yes, part of that last sentence seems to have gone missing.

I couldn't parse it at all, here, but I decided I wasn't the intended
audience, and maybe Matthew could parse it.  But it seems he had trouble
too.  But part of the sentence missing explains it.  Sometimes my brain
goes faster than my fingers, too. =:^s

What's worse is that I seldom see it when reading over it again, as my
brain simply supplies the missing info as if it were there... often even
with someone else's writing let alone my own.  On /. and etc, others will
sometimes point it out, and I have to go back and reread and even looking
for it, sometimes I have to read it again multiple times to catch the
missing bit.  If that's happening with what others write, what hope at
all do I have with my /own/ writing. =:^(

But it's nice to see I'm not the only one with the issue... either one.
=:^P

>> I assume what you mean is how you
>> can click on the preview and have the corresponding color selected in
>> the list?
>>
>> That would be nice, I agree. It's not coded yet :-(.

Matthew did a MUCH better job than I at that parsing, and just as amazing
a job explaining it, and we all three agree it'd be nice.  But not coded
yet is not coded yet...

>>> The "Color set" selections in "Colors" sections (other than "Common
>>> Colors") have two rows in the "Preview".  What do these two rows
>>> represent?
>>
>> Background and Foreground. Top row is foreground roles against
>> NormalBackground. Bottom row is background roles, using the foreground
>> most likely to have worst contrast with that role. The background roles
>> (except Alternate, currently) can't be set individually; they are
>> calculated from the respective foreground colors plus NormalBackground.

Something else to code would be tooltips explaining all that... and since
I'm asking for ponies already, how about a fancy harness to go with them,
in the form of tooltips explaining the "a i ! - +" on the scheme tab and
with common colors.  Once someone selects the colors tab and something
other than common colors, with some thought, the idea sort of
materializes, but it's far from intuitive, particularly for someone
coming from kde3, who has never seen such a rich color model before.  Or
putting it a bit differently, their purpose is almost as hard to parse as
James' bit above. =:^P

>>> Do all the background colors shown exist?
>>
>> They do; look at KColorScheme::BackgroundRole. Most of them aren't
>> often used, admittedly. (Or did you mean 'can they be individually
>> tweaked', in which case see above?)
>>
> What I meant was do the colors have names.  I guess that the answer is
> no.

Well, the "exist, but not often used" bit /does/ answer a question I had,
but hadn't asked.

Thanks to both of you for making this such a helpful thread.  It's just
this sort of thing that someone could put into a "KDE4 for the power
user" (or even maybe "for Dummies") book.  Like O'Reilly's "Running
Linux", or the years ago (some other publisher) "Using MS-DOS" book, both
of which were EXTREMELY useful books and EXTREMELY good investments for
me.

<wandering off into software usage and development philosophy>

But of course the idea is to make it intuitive enough that googling a
thread on an obscure mailing list, or buying a book about it, shouldn't
be necessary.  But that of course takes code, and code takes a real human
investing real time and thought.  KDE3's code may have been crufty on the
back end, and arts had been a huge negative for years, but other than
that, it had reached a pinnacle of functionality and practical usability
that's almost unmatchable.  One of the problems kde4 has had is that of
the younger brother, always trying to fill the GIANT shoes of his super-
achieving older sibling.  Those are HUGE shoes to fill, and frankly, kde4
isn't there and won't be for some time (I'm not alone in predicting 4.5
will finally close to match 3.5).  But that's not kde's fault, except
that they developed such a close to perfection previous version that it's
all but impossible to even /close/ to match it.

But it's little tweaks like we're discussing here that made kde3 what it
was, and that have the potential to make kde4 just as good if not better.
=:^)