Re: running okular

John R. Sowden wrote:
> >I am unable to display a pdf file since I upgraded to suse
11.1
> >with kde 4.x.  I read about problems with file associations,
but I
> >found that pdf is associated with okular.  It is also the
default
> >viewer in firefox, and when I run okular from the Alt-F2
> >command line, it executes.  But it does not from kmail or
firefox.
> >I get an error that says the 'helper' application is missing.
>
> No problems here on oS 11.1, KDE 4.2.2.  Perhaps you
somehow got two okular
> binaries and the wrong one is being invoked or your
association is subtly
> wrong?  Perhaps you could post the output of 'locate
okular' and provide
> more details about your MIME-type associations, including
where you are
> viewing them.
Interesting:
john@linux-q7ld:~> whereis locate
locate:
john@linux-q7ld:~> whereis okular
okular: /usr/bin/okular /usr/bin/X11/okular
john@linux-q7ld:~>
mime type associations ...  uhhh
I went to system settings (via the AltF2), then advanced then
file associations, put pdf in the search box, opened the *.pdf
response, and saw okular in the lower box.