Re: A few words about the Quality of KDE 4.2

On Monday 23 March 2009, Jerry Houston wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > One of KDE's products, so to speak, is a desktop environment for Free
> > Software operating systems (the Window Manager in this case being KWin).
> > Some of the most well known Free Software operating systems are Linux
> > based.
>
> Indeed, and I've even downloaded and installed KDE 4.2.1 on several
> Windows machines.  That experience hasn't been good at all.

Well, it is still mostly a beta on Windows.

> Applications that I'd love to see working, don't.  Even Nautilus fails
> to start, with a message telling me the file system process has stopped.

Nautilus is not one of the applications from KDE's application suite.

> I love the ideas behind Linux, and particularly KDE on Linux, but out of
> frustration I find myself returning to professionally-produced operating
> systems for the most part.

Hmm, professionally-produced could mean a lot. It could mean produced by
people who are professional software developers, which is also true for
Linux, or produced by companies as one of their products, which is also true
for quite some Linux distributions.

Maybe you mean "almost fully produced by a single company", e.g. OpenSolaris?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring