Re: kdeprint in kde 4

Rick Miles wrote:
> There are some programs that need to be told where to print. In kde 3.X
> it was kprinter so for example when I want to print a document being
> viewed with xpdf, when asked to enter a printer, I would enter kprinter
> and the kprinter window would come up and I could select a printer and
> options. It seems this is not the case in kde 4.X
>

> At http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDEPrint/KDE4#CUPS_Support iI found
> this:
>

> "KDEPrint has been removed from kdelibs and kdecore for the 4.0 release.
> All applications have been ported to use Qt's printing functions instead"

Not the smartest design decision of 2008. :-)

> Kdeprint is being rewritten

I don't think so.  Would you like to volunteer?  I would help.

> to but for now what is the alternative command?

Are the printers listed in: "/etc/printcap"?  If so they should be
listed in the list widget to the right of: "Name:".

If the printers aren't listed there, open the CUPS HTML page and check
your configuration.

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch