links in menus/cross desktop menus

I'm trying to create menu entries that point to folders with examples
in them. These menu entries need to work on both KDE and Gnome, so it
doesn't seem like I can use Exec=kfmclient/nautilus in the .desktop
entries. If I change the Type= key from Application to Link and add a
URL=file:/// key, they work in Gnome. However, in KDE the menu entry
*disappears completely*. These entries are all in
~/.local/share/applications, and show up when Type=Application is
specified.

Is there a way to make the links appear in the K-menu or make the
entries somehow else cross-desktop compatible?

things I've tried:

-setting NoDisplay and Hidden to false
-setting an Icon
-moving the entry to .kde/share/applink (the behavior was identical)
-probably other silly acts of desperation I'm forgetting :)

It's KDE 3.3 (and Gnome 2.8) on RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.

Thanks,
-Chris