Re: kde4 makes PC slowlier ???

On Monday 06 October 2008, Goodhorse wrote:>> One of the user in our community once told me the same thing.  He did not> turn on any animation or desktop effect, and used the same resolution as in> KDE3. He found that KDE4 was *actually* slower than KDE3.>> For me it is also a true statement.  Especially in an old system which KDE3> could run smoothly, KDE4 would be a lot slower.  It's luck that my boss> agreed to let me change my daily work PC to a dual core Intel and with 1GB> memory, and now the speed of KDE4 is OK to me, although animation is still> not very smooth.  I'm just wondering why KDE4 is slower than KDE3.  I guess> that KDE4 may need more effort to fine tune its performance, since it> changed a lot due to changing the whole framework.>> Anyway, I'm in love with KDE 4.1, and I appreciate the developers a lot.>>> Franklin
I did not make any comment as to the speed of KDE 4, as I don't use it myself. I too am in love with KDE, as far as version 4 is concerned I'll decide once it's ready for use.
My point was just that I don't know why users know so little about how a computer works to expect that installing a new version, plus turning on all the gizmos that heavily use memory and 3D graphical systems and be surprised that an older system gets slower - it's just what everyone should expect.
The question why 4 is slower than 3 on a system that should run it smoothly should be answered by a developper. OS X 10.5 is not faster on every system, nor is Vista. People tend to believe that a new version is (always) better than the previous one, they are wrong. KDE 3 has been tuned and bettered for years, KDE 4 is new and still work in progress. So we come back to the problem that a beta version is branded 4.1.2...  If it was "beta", the answer would be  to wait for the official release, but as 4.1.2 *is* an official release....
And all this said, I too appreciate the work of the developpers. Probably in a few months (years?) everyone will praise KDE 4. Just wait.
Thierry

-- “Microsoft isn't evil,they just make really crappy operating systems.” Linus Torvald
___________________________________________________This message is from the kde mailing list.Account management:  https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.