Re: KDEwallet

On Saturday 04 October 2008 10:33:20 Allen Meyers wrote:

> I am not aware of ever creating a specific password for kdewallet however

> if it was generated somehow I would like to know how to access it so I know

> what it is and change it or possibly disable it all together.I tried my log

> on password but obviously that is not the one. A member of list said there

> is a desktop item KWalletManager that is usually put in the applications

> manager under System->Desktop Applet. You can root around in that.

> Well for the experienced user this would probably be enough, but to a

> challenged newbie it would help to know more specifics of how to find it.

> Alt+f2+KWalletManager gave me nothing. Searching system revealed nada as

> well, but the annoying popup keeps appearing at initial kubuntu desktop.

> Please advise option(s) that a challenged newbie and 76 yr old (with

> comprehension problems) can follow.

> I appreciate any and all that adds to my Linux learning curve. Thanks

> Allen Meyers

You haven't told us which distro you are using, and whether it is KDE 3 or KDE 4, but here goes.

KDE 3 - open the KDE Control Centre (kcontrol) and type kwalletmanager in the search box.

KDE 4 - System Settings > Advanced > KDE Wallet

However, I've used the wallet for years, and don't see how it is possible to be asked for a non-existent password. Have you tried Enter for the password? That's the nearest guess I can make.

Probably your best bet is to delete the old wallet start a new one and deliberately set your password. It's my guess that you simply made a mistake under the pressure of learning something new, and that you won't see the problem again.

Hope that helps

Anne