Re: Kerry Beagle

Having just got my machine dual booting again my disks have been rattling
around for hours and hours and I have to ask if Beagle's crawler ever stops
or if it crawls for ever?????????????????????. Seem to have stopped it from
crawling the web, me mail etc but the disk still rattles on.

Beagle is a daemon, so it never stops unless you stop it manually.

The problem is not beagle being a daemon, the problem is that it takes more and more memory (last time for me it was taking more than 500 MB), I suppose because of a bug.

My advice: do not use beagle until the bug is corrected. Close it, close it also from the task bar and it should not start again, unless you have it in ~/.kde/Autostart

You have at least two more alternatives: tracker and recoll. I prefer the latter, but I have both running.

Out of interest it seems wubi is the only installer that can cope with xp not
on disc 0.

Well, I do not like Ubuntu but here I have to tell you "please be understanding". The natural way is to install a Linux distro inside another partition or inside a Virtual Machine. Wubi is a good idea for Windows users that are scared of doing something wrong when trying Linux for the first time. Wubi is a very young project, so please be understanding and submit the bugs you encounter. A different thing is that some bugs you encounter in Wubi are also inside the "usual" Ubuntu, which would not be so improbable :-D

By the way, installers can cope with XP not on disc 0. I mean all the classical installers, the boot CDs :-)