Re: session within the main session

On Friday 28 March 2008, Pol wrote:
> <posted & mailed>
>
> Strong Cypher wrote:
> > kdm aren t run as user
> > it run as root
> > so they could manage multiple session local and distant from many
> > differents users
> > they use a specif proto that need udp for transport
> > so you can t do that other ssh
> > if you want other ssh use vncserver
>
> Are there any other solutions, besides vncserver?

NX from nomachine or any nested XServer, e.g. Xephyr

> My attempts to set local ssh conections and running applications were
> working fine, apparently...

Yes, you wouldn't even need SSH, you can just export the DISPLAY and make sure
the other user is allowed to connect to the XServer (see xhost)

The problem with a full session, e.g. the one started by startkde is, that it
includes certain services, e.g. window manager, session manager, which
require to be the only one of their kind per DISPLAY.

Since your usecase is two users on the same machines, I'd recommend going for
a nested XServer approach. This is very common among desktop developers, e.g.
running a development KDE 4 session inside a KDE3 session [1]

Cheers,
Kevin

[1]
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Getting_Started/Set_up_KDE_4_for_development#Launching_KDE_4_apps_.26_sessions