Re: Cannot set the default web browser

On 26/02/2008, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> On Tuesday 26 February 2008 13:13, Dotan Cohen wrote:>  > In KDE 3.5.8 on Ubuntu I cannot set the default web browser. In Kcontrol I>  > do not have the items "KDE Components -> Component Chooser" nor>  > "Default Applications".  How can these items be added, or how can the>  > default web browser be chosen another way? I asked on the Kubuntu list>  > but they could not help me solve the problem.>  >>  > Thanks in advance.>  >>  > Dotan Cohen>>> Hi Dotan. I've got an older version of KDE on Kubuntu Dapper (3.5.2), my main>  menu has an entry for "System Settings". On opening this I see "KDE>  Components" -> "Default Applications". I also opened Kcontrol>  from /usr/share/applications/KDE/ , and the default applications is there>  too.

feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ cd /usr/share/applications/kde/feisty@feisty-laptop:/usr/share/applications/kde$ lsakregator.desktop         kcmcss.desktopkjobviewer.desktop              ksirc.desktopamarok.desktop            kcmdf.desktopKjots.desktop                   ksirtet.desktopamor.desktop              kcmfontinst.desktopkjumpingcube.desktop            ksmiletris.desktopark.desktop               kcmhistory.desktopklatin.desktop                  ksnake.desktopartsbuilder.desktop       kcm_kbluetoothd.desktopkleopatra_import.desktop        ksnapshot.desktopartscontrol.desktop       kcmkded.desktopklettres.desktop                ksokoban.desktoparts.desktop              kcm_kdnssd.desktopklickety.desktop                kspaceduel.desktopatlantikdesigner.desktop  kcmkicker.desktopklines.desktop                  ksplashthememgr.desktopatlantik.desktop          kcmkmrml.desktopklinkstatus.desktop             kspread.desktopaudiocd.desktop           kcm_knetworkconfmodule.desktopklipper.desktop                 kstars.desktopbackground.desktop        kcmkrfb.desktopkmahjongg.desktop               ksysguard.desktopbell.desktop              kcmkttsd.desktopKMail.desktop                   ksysv.desktopblinken.desktop           kcmlaunch.desktopkmail_view.desktop              kteatime.desktopcache.desktop             kcmlirc.desktopkmdr-editor.desktop             kthememanager.desktopcdinfo.desktop            kcmnotify.desktopkmenuedit.desktop               ktimer.desktopclock.desktop             kcmperformance.desktop          kmid.desktop                   ktip.desktopcolors.desktop            kcmsmserver.desktopkmines.desktop                  ktnef.desktopcomponentchooser.desktop  kcmtaskbar.desktop              kmix.desktop                   ktorrent.desktopcookies.desktop           kcmusb.desktopkmplayer.desktop                ktouch.desktopcrypto.desktop            kcm_useraccount.desktopkmplot.desktop                  ktron.desktopdesktopbehavior.desktop   kcmview1394.desktopknetattach.desktop              kttsmgr.desktopdesktop.desktop           kcmwifi.desktopknetwalk.desktop                ktuberling.desktopdesktoppath.desktop       kcolorchooser.desktopknetworkmanager.desktop         kturtle.desktopdevices.desktop           kcoloredit.desktopknewsticker-standalone.desktop  kudesigner.desktopdisplay.desktop           KControl.desktopKNode.desktop                   kugar.desktopdma.desktop               kcron.desktopknotes.desktop                  kuser.desktopdolphin.desktop           kdat.desktopknowit.desktop                  kverbos.desktopebrowsing.desktop         kdepasswd.desktop               kodo.desktop                   kview.desktopfilebrowser.desktop       kdeprintfax.desktopkoffice.desktop                 kvoctrain.desktopfiletypes.desktop         kdf.desktop                     kolf.desktop                   kwalletconfig.desktopfonts.desktop             kdict.desktopkolourpaint.desktop             kwalletmanager.desktopgroupwarewizard.desktop   kdissert.desktopkonqbrowser.desktop             kwalletmanager-kwalletd.desktopHelp.desktop              kdm.desktopkonquerorsu.desktop             kwifimanager.desktopHome.desktop              kdvi.desktopkonquest.desktop                kwikdisk.desktopicons.desktop             KEdit.desktopkonsole.desktop                 kwin4.desktopinstallktheme.desktop     keducabuilder.desktopkonsolekalendar.desktop         kwindecoration.desktopinterrupts.desktop        keduca.desktopkonsolesu.desktop               kwinoptions.desktopioports.desktop           kenolaba.desktopKontact.desktop                 kwinrules.desktopioslaveinfo.desktop       kexi.desktopkooka.desktop                   kword.desktopirkick.desktop            keyboard.desktopkopete.desktop                  kwordquiz.desktopjoystick.desktop          keyboard_layout.desktopkorganizer.desktop              kworldclock.desktopjuk.desktop               keys.desktop                    KOrn.desktop                   kwrite.desktopk3b.desktop               kfax.desktopkoshell.desktop                 kxsldbg.desktopk9copy.desktop            kfaxview.desktopkpackage.desktop                lanbrowser.desktopkaboodle.desktop          kfilereplace.desktopkpager.desktop                  language.desktopkaddressbook.desktop      Kfind.desktopkpalmdoc.desktop                laptop.desktopkalarm.desktop            KFloppy.desktop                 kpat.desktop                   libkcddb.desktopkalzium.desktop           kfmclient.desktop               kpdf.desktop                   lskat.desktopkamera.desktop            kfmclient_dir.desktopkpercentage.desktop             media.desktopkanagram.desktop          kfmclient_html.desktopkpersonalizer.desktop           memory.desktopkandy.desktop             kfmclient_war.desktopkpilotdaemon.desktop            mouse.desktopkappfinder.desktop        kfontview.desktopkpilot.desktop                  netpref.desktopkarbon.desktop            kformula.desktopkplato.desktop                  nic.desktopkarm.desktop              kfouleggs.desktopkpoker.desktop                  noatun.desktopkasteroids.desktop        kgamma.desktopkpovmodeler.desktop             opengl.desktopkate.desktop              kgeography.desktopkpowersave.desktop              panel_appearance.desktopkatomic.desktop           kget.desktop                    Kppp.desktop                   panel.desktopkaudiocreator.desktop     kghostview.desktopkppplogview.desktop             partitions.desktopkbackgammon.desktop       KGoldrunner.desktopkpresenter.desktop              pci.desktopkbattleship.desktop       kgpg.desktopkrandrtray.desktop              pcmcia.desktopkbemusedsrv.desktop       khangman.desktop                krdc.desktop                   printers.desktopkblackbox.desktop         khexedit.desktop                krec.desktop                   privacy.desktopkbluetoothd.desktop       khotkeys.desktopkregexpeditor.desktop           processor.desktopkbounce.desktop           khtml_behavior.desktopkrename.desktop                 proxy.desktopkbruch.desktop            khtml_filter.desktopkresources.desktop              quanta.desktopkbtobexclient.desktop     khtml_fonts.desktopkreversi.desktop                screensaver.desktopkbtobexsrv.desktop        khtml_java_js.desktop           krfb.desktop                   scsi.desktopkbtserialchat.desktop     khtml_plugins.desktopkrita.desktop                   smbstatus.desktopkcalc.desktop             kiconedit.desktopkruler.desktop                  sound.desktopKCharSelect.desktop       kig.desktopksame.desktop                   spellchecking.desktopkchart.desktop            kimagemapeditor.desktopksayit.desktop                  style.desktopkcmaccess.desktop         kinfocenter.desktop             kscd.desktop                   useragent.desktopkcm_btpaired.desktop      kiten.desktopkshisen.desktop                 xserver.desktopkcmcgi.desktop            kivio.desktop                   ksig.desktopfeisty@feisty-laptop:/usr/share/applications/kde$

Now, I see componentchooser.desktop in there, but I cannot run it:
feisty@feisty-laptop:/usr/share/applications/kde$ componentchooser.desktopbash: componentchooser.desktop: command not foundfeisty@feisty-laptop:/usr/share/applications/kde$ ./componentchooser.desktopbash: ./componentchooser.desktop: Permission deniedfeisty@feisty-laptop:/usr/share/applications/kde$ sudo./componentchooser.desktopPassword:sudo: ./componentchooser.desktop: command not foundfeisty@feisty-laptop:/usr/share/applications/kde$
>  I'm sure i've seen this problem you're having before, but I have so many>  different distros installed, that it's hard to remember which one it was, but>  may well have been Kubuntu.>>  Anyway. Have you got the package "kde-systemsettings" installed? This should>  add an entry "System Settings" to the main menu.
Yes, I have the System Settings in the main menu. However, it is anexact copy of what I have in Kcontrol. So, no "default applications"nor "component chooser".
Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.comhttp://gibberish.co.ilא-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת;
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?___________________________________________________This message is from the kde mailing list.Account management:  https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.