Re: Mount problem

Hello all,

A week ago I sent an email asking for help regarding mounting problems on KDE. Specifically, I have a CDRW/DVD-ROM drive and when I put a disk it fails with the following error:

"Error while loading media:/hdd

An error occurred while loading media:/hdd:
The file or folder media:/hdd does not exist."

I tried several configurations in /etc/fstab, including the suggestions James and Justin gave me. Since then I tried a lot of other possibilities and googled around, but found no answer. The strange part is that my CDRW/DVD-ROM drive can automount normal CD disks, but fails specifically when I insert a DVD a disk (both burned DVDs and movies, etc).

I suspect that the problem might have something to do with the device /dev/hdd but I couldn't find anything on google.

ps: my fstab is currently using the defaults which came with my Kubuntu distro:
/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

/dev/hdc is my DVD-RW drive, which works fine. /dev/hdd is my CDRW/DVD-ROM drive which can only automount CD disks, but not DVD disks.

Can someone please give me a hint or any suggestion on this problem? It's really annoying not being able to automount DVD disks! :-)

Thanks in advance an thanks for the support so far!

Bruno

2005/12/23, Bruno Castro da Silva <brunocs@xxxxxxxxx>:
Thanks for the hints, James and Justin.

I tried to update /etc/fstab with your suggestion:

> dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0  auto   defaults,noauto,users,unhide  0 0

but it didn't work. I also tried to use a line that I used in my old redhat system:

/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0

which didn't work either.

> Some research indicates that UDF is another CD format so if your Kernel
>  has it and you need it you should probably add that as well.

Thanks, but I tried with and without UDF and it that option didn't make any difference.

Check to see if you are in the "cdrw" group. Please note, this may not be the actual group name. Just `grep yourname /etc/group*` and compare the results. Also see if the perms on /dev/hdc match those of /dev/hdd.

I do belong to the 'cdrom' group. Permissions on /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd are exactly the same, and I just tried to give a+rwx to both but the same error still occurs when I insert the CDROM:

"Error while loading media:/hdd

An error occurred while loading media:/hdd:
The file or folder media:/hdd does not exist."

Any more ideas?