Re: Cannot update/modify Kmenu

s s wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm having some trouble with KDE 3.4.1: I cannot
> update or modify my KMenu. When I add new items, they
> never appear in the KMenu. I'm not sure why. I opened
> up ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu and the
> new items look like they've been added correctly, but
> I just can't get them to show up in the KMenu. I'd
> edit the .menu file myself, but I'm not sure how it
> all works and I don't want to make things any more worse.

The Menu file is constructed from *.desktop files. Look for the relevant
one, (eg kmail.desktop) and open it in an editor as root. If there is a
line like NoShow=true either delete it or change to false. Obviously if you
update the particular prg at any time this change will be overwritten.

Actually you can edit this *.desktop file to get prgs to appear under other
categories in the menu. All the menu editor does is 'hide' the item in one
cat and force it to 'show' in another.
HTH
Jim