console kmail counterpart

I use kmail only as my mail client,  unfortrunately sometimes I require to
read my mails when Im not in front of my laptop using remote access (ssh).
The problem of course is that I can't run kmail throught the ssh console so I
need a console based app (mutt, pine, elm??) to access my Mail directory
(read only access) and find the mails I require at the moment.

Im pretty sure some ppl here access their mails in the console and was
wondering if someone can give me some advice??  I just dont want to
experiment with my Mail directory and loose my mails by accessing with the
wrong mail client....

here are the requirements:

	- Console base : )
	- Maildir support
	- Read Only
	- Be able to see the structure organization of my mails.. (very deep
directory hierarchies)

Also optional but no necessary

	- POP access  (optional since usually kde will be running and kmail will also
be running while I access it remotely, in this case the client must support
the same locking mechanisms that kmail does)

any advice is greatly appreciated...
regards
Horacio