Re: Tiny unreadable fonts after upgrading from KDE 3.1.4 to KDE 3.4

Justin Denick wrote:
Could be a lot of things.

Is it only the text on the login screen? Are the icons small? Is
everything porportional.?
Can you increase the font size after logging in?

Once you define the problem than a suitable solution can be applied.

I didn't think I had been all that unreasonably vague. Perhaps somewhat so, but hardly sufficiently to warrant condescension. And there aren't any icons on the kdm login screen, at least not on my system.

It wasn't like an ordinary font size setting, just little horizontal lines, with no discrete characters, where lines of text should have been. The problem seemed similar to what to happens with some video cards when DisplaySize isn't explicitly set in the X configuration (but it is). A few elements of the screen had correctly-sized fonts, and a few had the lines that I only knew to be attempted text because I'd seen them before when they were working right. I didn't attempt to navigate the illegible interface to adjust specific font settings because it seemed fairly clear that something was hosed on another level. Switching back to the old KDE seemed to fix it.

I was going to try it again to get more detail, but for whatever reason it didn't happen this time. It sounds like you're probably implying that there's no known issue that would have this kind of effect, so I'll just wait and see if it happens again, and try to get more detail if it does.