-----Original Message-----
From: Tim München [mailto:kdelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
A better solution would be to try to kill any KDE / kdm / X process via ssh from another PC (Laptop?) - if you have one.

Thanks for the tip. I don't know why I didn't think of this. I normally
don't run sshd on my notebook, but this is making it easier to start/stop my
debugging process. ;-)

> I don't see anything strange in .xsession-errors, /var/log/messages or
> dmesg. Google doesn't really have anything useful that I've found.

You should also look into /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Look for any lines that begin with (EE).

Nope. Not a single (EE).

All kinds of other things (II) (**) (WW) (==) though.

You can also try to edit your xorg.conf (or XF86config, if you still use that; x.org uses this file if xorg.conf is not found) and change your graphics driver from nv / nvidia to a more generic one (Although the point of hanging doesn't indicate a graphics problem... but you can still try it!)

KDE shouldn't care about my graphics card should it? Like I said, Gnome and
XFCE (and twm) all work fine. And I am getting "display", just not past the
yellow/blue gear icon in the loading screen.