Re: kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type

Danijel Tasov wrote:
Hi,

i've updated to KDE 3.4, and now I'm getting these warnings when
starting konqueror. This wouldn't be annoying to me, but for each
warning I also get a pop-up-window. Has somebody an idea of what
is wrong?

kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
inode/directory
kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
inode/directory-locked
kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
inode/blockdevice
kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
inode/chardevice
kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
inode/socket
kio_file: WARNING: Could not find mime type
inode/fifo
[...]

                                               -DaTa-

I got similar messages (not so many) when I upgraded from Suse 9.0 to 9.2, which I guess involved an upgrade of KDE from something older to 3.3.0. Was not a problem for other users.  I guessed that they were problems with file associations so I played around a bit with these using Konqueror>Tools>"Configure Konqueror">"File Associations". Seemed to help a bit for a while but the wrong setup kept being re-generated by something. In the end I got sick of it and took the more drastic step of deleting my user .kde directory. This did the trick and had some other beneficial side-effects - like I lost desktop icons for each of my  Windows partitions which I had never liked or needed. The only dis-benefit that I remember was that some kde applications acted like they had never been run (most annoying I think was Kopete where I had to enter all my contacts again).

Bogus Zaba