Opening Home

Dear list members,
Could somebody help me with the following problem:
When trying to open Home, either by clicking on the desktop icon or by going to it at bottom left, the hour glass turns for a while, then dies without opening the window. So far, that happened about 8 out of 10 times. Twice it worked properly, but I don't think I did anything differently. Gnome is working. Computer and system: Powermag G4, Mandrakelinux 10.1 running on a second harddisk.
I had this same problem on a G3 Powerbook running Yellow Dog Linux. But there I simply created a new user, the new account behaved properly. This does't work this time.
Thank you for your help, Jorg.