Re: Why GTK+ will prevail, and what needs to be done

On Sunday 30 January 2005 20:30, Andy Teijelo Pérez wrote about Re:
 Why GTK+ will prevail, and what needs to be done:
> There's a thought I've always had about Qt, and I think this thread
> is a good place to tell about it.
>
> I know that Trolltech and KDE e.V. have an agreement that assures the
> availabilty and continued development of the free version of Qt for
> KDE to use it. I know it's good to have a company making money out of
> the product they also give us in a free form to develop with. But,
> through time, I've seen comments in this list that have made me think
> that a completely free "community developed" version of Qt would be
> better to KDE.
>
> (...)

Just throwing in my personal opinion:

Linux has enough *choice* as it is.

When I install/show linux to a (linux) newbye he´s always confused on
why there are 10+ window managers (most of them even can't make the
difference between window manager/x/operating system anyway).
I remember I spent some almost a week on the net after I returned from a
2 week hollyday in the mountains to find out why, suddenly x.org
appeared why xfree is no longer good to use and which is better to
choose.

IMHO the word join should be used much more often then fork.
I think that having to choose not only between gtk and qt but than
between a commercial qt and a community one would only add to the
confusion.

It's hard enough the companies are to choose between 2 or more widget
sets (not forget wxwin and others) then package the application for 10+
distributions, each distributions needing more than one package because
they break compatibility almost at each version (remember most
companies cannot offer source code). Just as a bonus there are 4
printing systems, 2 major kernel versions in use across distros, 2+
sound systems (with more on the way probably) and so on and so forth.
IMO that´s one of the main reason why we see so few commercial apps
around. A commercial developer is not eager to invest more time and
money in packaging an application for 10 distros than he did creating
that particular app.
Just as a small test: try to install one of the games that Loki made for
linux and see if it still work on a modern distro. Got my point?
A few years back I bought a Handspring Visor and got the choise between
5 or 6 sync utils from which none worked very well. I would have
preffered to choose between 2 that worked good :)
Personally I don't care... I use Slackware and I use source code, but I
also own a small Linux consulting company where things are not that
pink...
I saw forks just because of personal ego, or fights between
developers... That is really said. These resources could be better
used. It would be much better for the community if people would let ego
apart and work together. It's much useful to improve an already
existing app than reinventing it again... e.g. I see projects started
for creating the yet another CD burning software every month or so.
Why? We have k3b, we have xcdroast and more, why just not choose one
and start improving it? (It´s not the case with qt as I see it, I just
felt like mentioning this)

Sorry I think I was a bit off course here but I just had to say it...

regards