Re: Why GTK+ will prevail, and what needs to be done

Taylor Byrnes wrote:
First let me say, the following is not supposed to be trolling or
random KDE bashing, I use KDE everyday and have no complaints about
it. The following is my view on what will be a problem for it (or at
least for QT) in the near future. I realise Qt and KDE are not
inseparable, but lets not create extra work for the developers.

Linux is growing, it is gaining market share everyday, as it grows
more and more corporations are paying attention to it. As Linux grows
and more people begin to use it there will be increasing demand for
proprietary windows applications to be provided on Linux; and with the
growing market demands the companies that make those products will be
forced to port them to Linux.

When a company is planning or porting an application to Linux one of
the first things they are going to come across is the choice of a
widget library (probably Qt or GTK+). The problem that I see here is
the licensing of the two libraries. Qt is available for free under the
QPL and GPL, with commercial licenses available for a price; GTK+ is
available only under the GNU LGPL.

I have to wonder if they will use either of these (Qt or GTK+) since it would be much easier to just use MainWin:

	http://www.mainsoft.com/products/mainwin.html

--
JRT