Re: Remote login - xdm

You mentioned Yast, So I assume you are talking about SuSE Linux.

Check /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and see if
DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN is set to true.

Maybe this helps.

Larry Howe wrote:
Does anyone know how to configure / use remote login (xdm). I already have Desktop Sharing working, but it isn't quite what I want. There is way too much network traffic, and I have some reliability problems. I use remote login routinely at work, and it works well, so I'd like to try it at home. I checked the docs and have made some progress, but I can't seem to get it to work. Here is what I have configured / tried so far. Any help appreciated.

Also, are there any other better tools for this task?

Larry Howe

On the client: ====================================

Configuration: ========

in /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc, I added a single line for LoginMode.

[X-:*-Greeter]
AdminSession=YaSTadminSession
LoginMode=DefaultLocal

Usage: ============

After changing kdmrc, on the X login screen, I now can go Menu / Remote Login. That brings up a new screen, titled XDMCP Host Menu. I typed the server name in Host and clicked Add. Now the server appears in the list, showing the host name, how many users are currently logged in, and the system load (=> it's communicating with the server).

If I select the host and click Accept, the screen flashes a few times, the stopwatch shows for several seconds, then the _local_ X login screen comes back again.

Logs: =============

kdm.log:

Fatal server error:
XDMCP fatal error: Session declined No valid address

/var/log/messages:

Dec 26 10:52:39 pickle kdm: :0[5302]: pam_unix2: session started for user lhowe, service xdm

Configuration: =========

Yast / Security and Users / Security Settings / Next / Next / Next / Allow Remote Graphical Login (the help for this option says "Checking this allows access to a graphical login screen for this machine over the network. Remote access to your machine via xdm might be a security risk."

I'm not sure whether anything is going in the logs or not. Sometimes I see nothing in the logs. Other times I get, in kdm.log:

SetClientVersion: 0 8
SetGrabKeysState - disabled
AUDIT: Sat Dec 25 15:08:27 2004: 4783 X: client 27 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
SetGrabKeysState - enabled