Desktop Icons question

Hi, kde!

How can I direct kde to display a thumbnail of a random .jpg file when I place
it on the desktop, instead of the mime icon for .jpg?

Maybe that's not clear.

I've got six or seven .jpg file on my desktop which USED to be displayed as
the thumbnail for each file.  Then I upgraded to KDE 3.3.1 and now all I get
is the mime icon.

I've tried setting the properties, but there doesn't appear to be an option to
generate a thumbnail.

any tips are appreciated.

lane