Re: Re: The Integrated Desktop

David P James wrote:
On Tue 7 December 2004 14:55, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

Although Konqueror has many features including the possibility of
total integration, there are problems with KHTML.  Gecko is simply
much better at displaying non-standards compliant web sites than
KHTML.

Really? My experience is that of "it depends". Some non-standard sites choke KHTML but Gecko displays them whilst others choke Gecko but KHTML displays them. Still others choke both but Opera succeeds and others still choke all 3.

I do not doubt the accuracy of your experience. But, what I state is accepted as true even if it isn't always correct. Business customers still accept this as the common wisdom so if it is no longer true, we need to change opinion as much as we need to change the software.

Since I prefer Konqueror, I am not going to be finding sites that work on Konqueror and not on FireFox -- I always use Konqueror first (unless opening links from e-mail), if it doesn't work I use FireFox and in the rare case that it doesn't work either I open IE 6.0 with CrossOver. When I never have to use something besides Konqueror, I will be pleased. IIUC, in the near future, I will not have to open FireFox, but rather can simply change to the Gecko KPart when KHTML doesn't render a site correctly. I will be happy to see that too.

If only everyone would make their web site conform to the W3C standards, I would be *really* happy.

--
JRT