Re: Request for FAQs

Philip Rodrigues wrote:
If you can't think of a question, take a look at
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Documentation+Team+Ideas , under
the heading 'FAQ', where there are some questions looking for answers.

If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to ask.

I think that a few of the listed items really need a mini howto and KDM needs an actual howto.

There is also a need for a howto on fonts setup for KDE.

The problem I would have in writing some of these is that I would be telling users how to correctly set things up (for Linux) as opposed to the way that the stock KDE install from source does it. I don't know if this is acceptable.

There is one that I would suggest:

Q. Why can't Konsole find the "9x15" and the 2 "console" bit map fonts installed with KDE.

A. FontConfig must find the three fonts installed in: "$KDEDIR/share/fonts". If the KDE install does not install these fonts in a directory that already exists (e.g. /usr/share/fonts) then you must add this directory to the configuration file: "/etc/fonts/local.conf". This should be the first thing after: "<fontconfig>". For example:

<fontconfig>

	<dir>/usr/kde3/share/fonts</dir>

After adding the directory, run [as root]:

	fc-cache -v

and check that it found the directory.

--
JRT