Re: how to start an application in a seperate instance?

Arne Goetje wrote:

James, Carsten:

Thanks, for clearing this up. :)

But this refers to any application started under KDE, so I thought it's an KDE issue.

This is just a browser issue.  In your case a Mozilla issue.  I don't
know if you would have similar problems with Konqueror or not.

Same with konqueror, kmail, etc. I usually need this for mozilla or konqueror (when searching the web) and kmail when answering e-mails.

You probably don't need to have different environment variables for
Mozilla -- different settings in Mozilla might do it.  But, you MUST
have two separate profiles for Mozilla, one for Chinese and one for
Japanese.  Then I would suggest that you make separate menu, or
desktop, entries for them so that the command line starts them with
their respective profiles.  Consult the Mozilla documentation for the
proper command line syntax.

Thanks. I do need the environment variables, because I have to set LC_CTYPE and XMODIFIERS to reflect the correct input application for chinese/japanese typing.

So, what would be the correct way for KDE apps?

I would make a separate menu entry for the two languages.  E.G.:

	Mozilla (Japanese)
	Mozilla (Chinese)

You can modify the existing 'desktop' file to do this.

You can normally just add this to the command line in your 'desktop' file:

	Exec=LC_CTYPE=<type> mozilla

If the command line gets too long, write a short script. And remember if you have a " " (space) that is not a delimiter, then use quote marks.

This appears to be an issue which you might want to post to 'kde-usability' or write a wishlist bug since in your case, you need to be able to switch your location and X configuration without restarting KDE and this currently isn't possible.

--
JRT