Re: kde system sounds

jesso1607@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have Mandrake Linux 10 running KDE 3.2. I can play CD's through KDE. So my sound is working.

WRONG! Audio CDs play directly through hardware, they do not use aRts or the sound driver.

But, I cannot get the system notifications sounds to play. e.g. starting and exiting KDE.

Even when I go into the "KDE Control Center" under "LookNFeel -> System Notifications" the sample sounds won't play.

When I do go into the "Sound -> Sound System" and play the "Test Sound", that does play. The "Enable the sound system" is checked off.

I checked the volumes and are all up.

It would help to know if you can play an OGG or MP3 file. If you don't have one, rip one off of a CD.

There is a possibility if is actually only the system sounds that don't work.

The configuration files:

	$HOME/.kde/share/config/knotify.eventsrc
	$HOME/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc

could be screwed.  Try deleting them.

Otherwise, if you can't plan a sound file, your sound system isn't configured correctly.

Known Bug (probably fixed, but was probably still in 3.2): If you are using ALSA, set: "Select audio device:" to ALSA rather than leaving it on: "autodetect".

--
JRT

--
JRT