Child Panel placement

I am trying to place 2 child panels on my desktop such that one is in the upper-left corner and the other is in the upper-right corner. When I do this the panels do not sit where they should be. The panels expand as required. It seems that the panel looks like it sits in the corner, but exists along the entire upper edge of the screen and thus an offset effect is seen. Is there a setting I am missing? Is it possible to have multiple child panels exist where I think they should. If you go into the control center you can specify where you want them placed, but it does not seem to be the case that they do what they should.

Thanks,
Joseph