Re: KDE vs Gnome

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 12:59 am, Michael Mouer wrote:
> Will someone please describe the benefits of using KDE
> rather than Gnome? I noticed that several commercial
> desktop apps use Gnome as a base. I am attempting to
> move a small non-profit organization serving the
> visually impaired from an expensive WIN 2000 server
> and workstations to a SuSE 9.1 system.This is
> volunteer work for me so I want to keep after
> installation support to a minimum. All advice is
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

FYI, there are lots and lots of threads on various forums about this.  You
might want to have a quick look at linuxquestions.org or justlinux.com for
more balanced debate than you're likely to find on KDE's mailing list ;-)

I have one tip for you though -- you really may want to consider a Debian
based LiveCD such as Knoppix, Gnoppix, or Mepis (my personal favorite).
Many people will agree that Debian systems are much easier to maintain
than RPM-based distros such as Red Hat and SuSE.  The downside of Debian
has traditionally been the pain in the ass installation -- but these
LiveCD distros take all the pain away.  Throw in a Mepis CD, boot your
machine and blammo --  you're using Linux.  If you like it, double click
the "install" icon on your desktop.  If not, you can keep the CD as a
rescue CD.

Sean

--
: : : : : DataFly.Net : : : : :