Re: KDE audio with ALSA and Arts, how?

Thank you JRT for that really thorough and helpful overview of how it all
works together.  Unfortunately, I'm still no closer to being able to listen
to clean music while I work :-(

FYI, in Debian at least, the ownership of the /dev/<sound devices> is set to:
root:audio (not root:sound).

Any other ideas about how to approach troubleshooting this?  I'm running out
of hope... I might just have to plug the audio back into my Mac for music.

If some kind soul would walk me through troubleshooting this, I'd be most
grateful :-)

If you're up to the challenge, here a summary:  My system sounded very good
before I upgraded to a 2.6 kernel with alsa.  Now I think that arts and alsa
are competing for my sound card.  Here's a layout of what's happening:
1) JuK sounds sort of garbled when set to arts (like an old slightly
demagnetized audio tape)
2) JuK sounds listenable but with occasional pops when set to GStreamer (like
a vinyl record that pops occasionally).
3) [newly discovered] KDE (which uses arts) and JuK (which is set to use
GStreamer) don't seem to be able to share the sound card.  If I reboot, I can
hear KDE sounds (startup, new mail, etc), UNTIL I use JuK, then from that
point on, I hear no KDE sounds unless I quit JuK and do:
/etc/init.d/alsa restart

Any clues in there?

Sean