Re: True multiple desktops possible?

Alexander Steppke wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a possibility in kde 3.2.1 to setup multiple desktops with different files on each desktop. At the moment I got four virtual desktops with four different background pictures, but I was unable to find a way to use four different folders to put files on the four different desktops.

After searching through the mailing list archive I found that somebody suggest a similar thing in 2002 but they could not figure out a way to do this easily within kde.

Basically I am looking for an easy way to do something like this to create four desktops with different links, files and applications on each one.

switch ( current_desktop )
{
    case 1: set_desktop_files("~/Desktop_1"); break;
    case 2: set_desktop_files("~/Desktop_2"); break;
    case 3: set_desktop_files("~/Desktop_3"); break;
    case 4: set_desktop_files("~/Desktop_4"); break;
}

It was suggested to create four users and to start four XServers to create a similar thing but this seems like an overkill to me. Different background pictures are already possible, so why not different desktop folders?

Are you trying to actually change the code. This should be possible.

What you need to set is the: "Desktop path" and then possibly run:
"kbuildsycoca" and/or "xrefresh" to update the screen. There is also a possible slight problem here -- KDE might decide to rearrange the icons on the desktop if you do this (you would have to find a solution to this).

--
JRT