blinking icons when downloading

hi

just wondering: When I download a file to my desktop, some update process apparently repaints all icons (20 or so) that are lying around on the desktop. This repainting causes an irritating flickering effect on all visible icons. This stops when the download ends. Same thing happens when downloading to a directory while having Konqueror viewing the dir in a window. My machine is a 1.7Ghz machine, and even then the updating is very annoying and slows thigs down a bit.

I cannot imagine that this is regular behaviour. Anybody got any tips ?

tnx

Piet (from Belgium)

please reply to:
pvremort AT vub.ac.be