Re: KDE printer installation wizard - samsung cpl500

John wrote:
Hi
I have managed to install the printer driver with the KDE wizard. All the printer properties and settings etc are available but I can't print a test page or this mail. It looks like nothing is actually getting out of the parallel port allthough KDE reckons it has sent it "ok". I couldn't install the driver with yast (suse 9) as it wouldn't except it. In the Local Port Selection the uri (its cups) is parallel:/dev/lp0 on Parallel Port #1. I've seen a port number mentioned somewhere. At the end of the local port list a canon and epson printer are shown also on Parallel Port #1 under Others. There doesn't seem to be any way of removing these.
Anybody have any thoughts? Mainly on what I need to do to get it all to work.

On the driver - I found a windoze ppd for a samsung printer on adobe. This allowed me to add a few lines to the one that came with the printer. I can't sort out how to add the PageRegion that the yast install reckoned to be missing. The one in the windoze ppd is beyond me. The KDE install didn't object to the file with the DefaultimageableArea added though. That one was simple/

In general, Parallel Port #1 is /dev/lp0 so I doubt that that is the problem.

OTOH, what are the permissions for: /dev/lp0? You can just set them to 666 to test it.

--
JRT