Re: [kde-freebsd] How do you enable debug output on a port?

On Friday 23 April 2004 03:25 pm, Andy Fawcett wrote:

> > The packages I installed were built on 5.2-RELEASE and are available
> > at: http://people.fruitsalad.org/tap/3.2.1/5.2-RELEASE/1/
> >
> > I am running 5.1 on my laptop because 5.2 breaks SCSI support, which
> > I need, and also causes ACPI problems with my Dell laptop (you have
> > to choose menu item #2, disable ACPI to boot the laptop).
> >
> > > If you run 4.x, are you perhaps trying to compile kdebase now with
> > > gcc 3.x installed from ports?
> >
> > No..as above, 5.1. The gcc version is 3.2.2 . Is that bad?
>
> Those packages (built by me) were built with gcc 3.3.3 on FreeBSD
> 5.2-RELEASE.
>
> There's a very strong possibility that they are incompatible with your
> 5.1/3.2.2 system. I've no way of checking, I ditched my last 5.1 box
> ages ago.

I'd sure like to upgrade, but need the Adaptec 1460 support, which is still
broken in 5.2, and the ACPI thing is a problem, so I'm sort of in a box. I
guess I could drop back to 3.1.4, but 3.2 is *so* much nicer.

I guess I have a loose attitude about packages, as I've quite often used 5.2
packages on 5.1 with no problems.

My main problem was *something* in the .kde directory.  I was able to run fine
as another user or as root. I created another user account, moved to that,
and just imported what I needed from the old .kde directory and it all
started to work except knotes.  By the way, I'm actually using a 3.2.2 klibs
that I built on 5.2.1 and it works.

I'm actually running 'contact' with 'kmail' embedded as I write this.

Anyway, it's working 'well enough' and I'll quit bugging everyone.

Thanks..

-Jim