KFIND problem - HELP

I'm not at all sure what caused this but every time I launch anything I get a
few KFIND sorry boxes come up that say "Could not find mime type
application/octet-stream" Every thing seems to function correctly after I
click ok but if I do a file search I get a few of these for every file
checked. This locks my machine up. I have to hit reset and some still come up
after that (about 13 initially). The desktop is also corrupt but a few clicks
correct that.
Only clue I have is that this started after an XMMS problem. This hasn't
worked correctly since I installed Suse 9 (up to date). It would not play
anything or close down correctly- the graphics stay on the desktop and
taskbar and will not go until I reboot. I have altered KDE to use Kaboodle by
default (Using Move Up). This does work but I get the same error message each
time I start it or anything else.
Help - I don't fancy a complete re install.
I also have a problem with downloads on some sites. rpm's and tars don't give
a save option. 'Copy to' does work though.

Many Thanks (I hope!)
           John Woodhouse