spellchecking in KDE

   Dear KDE users,

I am running Red  Hat Linux 9 but am not using their KDE but a distribution
3.1.1. obtained from sourceforge.net.
I have a series of questions concerning spell checking.

1. Spell checking in Kate

    a. It is not possible to change dictionary when whiting Kate.
       All plugins are activated. When I (within Configure Kate) click on the
       Spelling plugin I can  change from English to German but it has no
       effect.
       It is possible to change from English to German if I close Kate and
       open KDE:s Spellchecker and do the change and then return to Kate.
       Why have these menus in Kate when they do not work?
    b. In the Spellchecker and also within Kate my possible choices of
       dictionaries look as follows:

         Aspell Default
         English (med-only)
         English
         English
         English (med-only)
         English
         English
         Unknown
         Unknown
         German
         English (med-only)
         English (variant-0)
         English (variant-1)
         English (variant-2)
         English
         French (irg-only)
         French
         French (med-only)
         French
         French (small-only)
         French (small)
         French
         French
         German (new spelling)
         Unknown
         Unknown
         Unknown
         Unknown
         Unknown (only)
         Unknown (small)
         Unknown
         Swedish
         Unknown

      How am supposed to know how to choose and what does this mean?
      Why not Italian or Spanish?

2. KWrite
    The program KWrite is almost indistinguishable from Kate except for one
thing:
    Spellchecking does never work in KWrite! No menu for Spellchecking ever
    pops no matter how many plugins I add. Why?
    What it says in the Help Section does not agree with facts?
    It says that there is a Spelling ckeckbox under Tools but there is not!!!

    Please explain!

    Looking forward to hearing from some one more knowledgeable then myself!!

    Cheers, Ulf von Barth

 Prof. Ulf von Barth                 Tel: 46-46-2229069
 Dept. of Physics, FTT Group         Fax: 46-46-2224438
 Lund University                     Mobile: 46-705-975952
 Sölvegatan 14 A                     E-mail: barth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 S-22362 LUND, SWEDEN