Re: Printing via Konqueror

Des Dougan wrote:
On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 19:29, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

Des Dougan wrote:

In that other OS, I can select files, right click and select "Print"
(with the default application). Can I do this in Konq? I can't see a
menu option to allow me to do this.

AFAIK, you can't do that in *NIX.

It might be possible for you to set it up if (and only if) your application will print a file using the command line. But, this would be for each application, there is no general way to do it.

If the application will print from the command line you need to add the command to the: 'desktop' file like it is for: "Eject":

	[Desktop Action Eject]
	Exec=/usr/bin/eject /dev/hdc
	Name=Eject

	[Desktop Entry]
	Actions=Eject

So it would be something like this in the 'desktop' file for the menu:

	[Desktop Action Print]
	Exec="/usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/swriter" -p %F
	Name=Print

	[Desktop Entry]
	Actions=Print

Where the: "Exec" needs to be the correct command for your application. This is for OpenOffice Writer. I haven't tried this but it should work.

James,

Thanks for your reply. I'd like to try your suggestion (OOo and Acrobat
are the two applications I'd most use this for); however, I have no
"desktop" file that I can find in my KDE environment, nor can I find a
reference in the online help. If you're referring to the *.desktop
config files, I don't have one that covers the Eject command

That is just an example of how to add a command. The Eject command is in your CD ROM icon: "*.desktop" file. You should be able to add any command you want to a "*.desktop" file using the same form.

(I'm running SuSE 9, if that has an impact).

You need to find the menu "*.desktop" file for the application that you want to add the print "Action" to. E.G for OpenOffice writer it should be:

$HOME/.kde/share/applnk/OpenOffice.org 1.1.0/writer.desktop

for AAR, it should be:

$KDEDIR/share/applnk/Office/acroread.desktop

--
JRT