Re: Why is kgrantpty suid root?

On Monday 09 February 2004 2:20 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Mon February 9 2004 13:05, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Mon February 9 2004 07:42, Shane Shields wrote:
> > > The question is in the subject :) but when making rpm's kgrantpty is
> > > not set suid root wheras installing manually it is. Everything seems to
> > > work but is it really neccessary?
> >
> > On some systems you need to be root in order to correctly setup the
> > permissions of the pty. That's actually the whole purpose of kgrantpty.
>
> Adding to that.... if konsole still works after you delete kgrantpty then
> you don't need it :-)

I am using my own system compiled the Linux from scratch way and konsole works
fine for me. Still to get it right I will adjust my rpm spec file to set the
proper permissions. There are some other files as well that want to change
their permissions but as I am not compiling them in god mode they complain
and I want to fix them too.
--
Shane Shields

Registered LFS Compiler: 7582
To drink the WINE of success you must first seek the sayings of source