KIO_SMTP Spins out of control

Hi Folks,

I have been seeing lots of instances of KMail failing to finish sending email.
The 'Outbox' shows email still unsent and the lower right corner of KMail
shows an 'in-progress' Bar and a 'percentage'. TOP shows KIO_SMTP burning
roughly 50% CPU forever. When I go to KMail and tell it to put the email in
the 'outbox' to trash TOP still shows KIO_SMTP burning 50%. When I close
KMail the KIO_SMTP is still spinning. I have to 'kill' the spinning thread
and re-start KMail.

Now, interestingly, the email usually is actually sent!

Can anyone help out? Anyone having similar probs?

PeterB
p.s. SUSE 8.2 KDE 3.1.x KMail 1.5.1

Proud to use SuSE Linux, since 5.2
Loving using SuSE Linux 8.2