Re: File Associations

I have the same freaky problem.  I'm trying to set the OpenOffice Associations
to their proper settings, but no matter how hard I try they always revert
back to broken!  I'm getting darn tired of this to be honest.  The Real
problem I think is the Control Center.  And if my hunch is correct the
defaults are in /opt/kde3/share/mimelnk  at least that's where I'm going now
to see if I can fix this mess.

One thing you can do is check all the file permissions in your home directory.
especially .kde/share (and all the associated subdirs.)  It appears that
something screws up the rights so that you cannot adjust the properties of
anything under mimelnk directory.

On Thursday 25 December 2003 03:22 am, Dejan Cabrilo wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a problem with SuSE 9.0 installation of KDE 3.1.4. When I try to
> change file associations, I cannot save the changes. E.g. I switch around
> application preference order, click on Apply, click on OK. But, it doesn't
> really save the change. When I come back to file associations settings (or
> I just try opening a file by double clicking on it), the preference order
> is as it was before I changed it. Also, adding/removing doesn't work.
> Changes in embedding work fine.
>
> Oh yes, I just tried to do it with root, and it worked fine. But, it
> wouldn't change anything with a regular user. Where is this information
> stored? I couldn't find it in ~/.kde (and I looked, seems like, in every
> file.. but none of them stores name of applications used to run a file).
> If I can't get it to work this way, I may as well just edit the config
> files, if I can find them :)
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
> Dejan

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

	"The act of faith is the obedience of the understanding
	 to God revealing, and the product of that is the obedience
	 of the will to God commanding."
		Matthew Henry, on Romans 1:5