Re: how to set character encoding in kcontrol ?

Martin Koller wrote:

Before those upgrades, I could see the EURO sign e.g. when I type here in
kmail, but now I don't (do you see something if I type 3 times EURO "€€€"
?).

Yes, three EuroSigns.

Did the EuroSigns in my e-mail show up OK on your system?

Huch - I now see the EUR signs in the mail composer as I reply to your mail now ...

I found out, that this is due to the font _size_ I selected.
If I select Courier [Adobe] 10 points, I see the EUR sign.
If I select 9 points, I don't.
Any ideas how this can be?

Courier [Adobe] that comes with XFree86 is a bit mapped font. Try IBM Courier or BitStream Courier which are scalable Type1 fonts.

Hmmm ... I think I do too much playing with the font stuff.
I have again upgraded to Xfree86-4.4 RC2, and have now only the Xfree fonts installed. Now I don't have the Courier [Urw] font anymore, but only
Courier from Adobe Bitstream or Cronyx.

I just have some empty space). I use the font Courier [Urw], which
definitely has the EURO sign in Table 32 using kcharselect as you said -
but: Using kcharselect shows me the EURO sign in the table-view, but if I
click on the EURO sign, I get _nothing_ in the Textfield below, where
normally all the chars clicked on are pasted.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

This is seriously weird. :-|

You are having a font encoding problem (at least 90% sure but you never
know for sure).

But, you would normally get a small square box rather than a blank when the
glyph isn't in the font.

Yes, sometimes I see the square, but sometimes not (Luxi Sans for example does not) ... :-(

I don't know what would cause that unless the font actually has the blank character for that character code.

Have you tried other fonts to see if you have the same problem?  That is
probably what I would try next.

As I said, some KDE applications let you set the encoding.  Did you try
this in KMail?

View => Set Encoding

Yes. Trying iso8859-15 or utf8 in this mail gives me the same result - no EUR sign.

Thinking about the _size_ behaviour described above, it seems that Qt selects different fonts e.g. when the selected size is not natively (as bitmapped font) available. Question is: what does it select then, and - is this a Qt bug?

Qt has a font selection algorithm that scores the fonts and is supposed to select the best substitution. If that fails, it will select the default font set in: "qtconfig" and the default there is Helvetica.

When I run qtconfig and try the same font with different sizes, I also have this problem - sometimes I see the EUR sometimes not, e.g.:
Courier [Adobe], Normal
6,7,9,11 don't show EUR
8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,36,48,72 are OK

As I said above, try the two Type1 Courier fonts that come with XFree86.

I note that I have also had problems with Qt and Courier. I seems to get confused about which one to use.

--
JRT