Re: how to set character encoding in kcontrol ?

Martin Koller wrote:

Hi all,

I know there once was a setting in kcontrol to define the character encoding for KDE, which I used to define iso8859-15, to be able to use the EURO sign.

I'm not finding this option anymore - nor in KDE-3.2 and neither in KDE-3.1.3...

Any ideas how I can define this now or which character encoding KDE uses by default?

KDE itself use UNICode by default. Some applications have ways to set the encoding for that application.

How KDE interprets 8 bid encoding should be selected by your choice of Country/Region & Language.

P.S: My problem is, that I can't use the EURO sign currently ...

The KCM module "Country/Region & Language" is also where you can select your representation for "Money".

Now if you question is how to get: "€" in place of: "EUR", I'm not exactly clear about that except that the: "€" symbol is on page number 32 in UNICode.

Did you try changing your: "Currency symbol" in the KCM?

Or do you need to insert it when you are typing a document?

That would be a keyboard issue and I don't know if keyboard layouts have been upgraded to use it. Otherwise, you can use KCharSelect (it is in Table 32) with other symbols.

--
JRT