Mars Helicopter Talk for Students on April 8!

Mars Helicopter Talk for Students

It's been about six weeks since NASA's Perseverance rover touched down on Mars, and the mission has passed its first series of milestones with flying colors. The next major milestone is for the Ingenuity Mars helicopter to perform its first flight – the first attempt at powered flight on another planet!

Students who participated in the Mission to Mars Student Challenge submitted hundreds of questions about Ingenuity, and we have answers! Join the Education team at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory and JPL engineer Taryn Bailey as we discuss all things Mars helicopter in a 30-minute online talk for students of all ages. Learn what it took to design a helicopter capable of flying in Mars’ ultra-thin atmosphere, what to expect during the historic first flight, and how to follow along with resources from NASA. Plus, stick around after the show to learn how to build your own paper Mars helicopter with science communicator Emily Calandrelli, host of "Emily's Wonder Lab" on Netflix.

April 8 Talk for Students

THURSDAY, APRIL 8, 10 AM PDT

Experts Discuss NASA's Mars Helicopter – Talk for Students

Join NASA experts to learn about Ingenuity, the first helicopter designed to fly on Mars. We'll discuss what to expect as we prepare for Ingenuity's historic first flight and how to follow along with resources from NASA.

Watch Online

Education Resources

Prepare for this Wright brothers moment on Mars by learning more about helicopters and Red Planet exploration with these educator guides and activities for students!

Student Projects

Student Project: Make a Paper Mars Helicopter

Build a paper helicopter, then see if you can improve the design like NASA engineers did when making the first helicopter for Mars.

Engineering | Grades 2-8

Time: 30-60 mins

Student Project: Code a Mars Helicopter Video Game

Create a video game that lets players explore the Red Planet with a helicopter like the one on Mars with NASA's Perseverance rover!

Technology | Grades 3-8

Time: 60 mins

Student Slideshow: NASA Pi Day Challenge

The entire NASA Pi Day Challenge collection can be found in one, handy slideshow for students.

Mathematics | Grades 4-12

Time: Varies

Educator Guides

Educator Guide: NASA Space Voyagers: The Game

Students play a strategy card game that requires them to use problem-solving to successfully explore the Moon and Mars.

Science | Grades 6-9

Time: 1-2 hrs

Educator Guide: Make a Paper Mars Helicopter

In this lesson, students build a paper helicopter, then improve the design and compare and measure performance.

Engineering | Grades 2-8

Time: 30-60 mins

Educator Guide: Whirling Wonder: A 'Pi in the Sky' Math Challenge

In this illustrated math problem, students use the mathematical constant pi to determine how quickly the Ingenuity helicopter's blades must rotate in order for it to fly.

Mathematics | Grades 9-12

Time: Less than 30 mins

Mission to Mars Student Showcase

Share Your Designs!

Share pictures and stories of your Mars exploration projects on our Student Showcase page.

Explore More

Educator Resources: NASA's Mission to Mars Student Challenge

Educator Resources

Student Activities: Learning Space With NASA at Home

Student Activities

Live Streams

Live Streams: Teaching Space With NASA

Webinars

Webinars: Virtual Educator Workshops

Teachable Moments

Teachable Moments: NASA's Perseverance Rover Lands on Mars

Educator Resources

Educator Resources: NASA #CountdownToMars STEM Toolkit

@NASAJPLedu Facebook@NASAJPL_Edu TwitterJPL Education Website@NASAJPL_Edu Instagram@nasajpledu YouTube