Celebrate Pi Day with NASA

Title: How to Watch a Total Lunar Eclipse and Get Students Observing the Moon
Celebrate Pi Day with NASA

Celebrate Pi Day With NASA

NASA is joining schools, students and science centers across the U.S. as they celebrate one of the most well known and beloved numbers: 3.14, or pi. Used throughout the STEM world – especially for space exploration – pi is the number that results from dividing the circumference of any circle by its diameter. Pi can be and often is rounded to 3.14 even though its decimals never end, which is why the date 3/14 has been designated National Pi Day.

Looking for educational resources and activities to add to your Pi Day celebration? Check out these free offerings from the Education Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory:

NASA Pi Day Challenge

Pi Day Challenge Lessons Each year, the JPL Education Office creates an illustrated Pi Day math challenge that features real-world problems NASA scientists and engineers solve to explore Earth and space. The 2020 challenge will be available as both a standards-aligned lesson for the classroom and as an activity students can do on their own. Answers will be released Monday, March 16. Explore our collection of lessons and problems from previous years' challenges at the links below, and check back on March 6 to participate in the 2020 NASA Pi Day Challenge!

The 2020 challenge goes online Friday, March 6!

For Educators: NASA Pi Day Challenge Lesson Collection

› For Students: NASA Pi Day Challenge Slideshow

More Pi Resources

Article: How Many Decimals of Pi Do We Really Need? Article: How Many Decimals of Pi Do We Really Need? – While there are those who have memorized more than 70,000 digits of pi, JPL engineer Marc Rayman explains why you really only need a tiny fraction of that for even the highest-accuracy calculations at NASA.
› Read more
Article: Oh, the Places We Go: How NASA Uses Pi? Article: Oh, the Places We Go: 18 Ways NASA Uses Pi – Whether it's sending spacecraft to other planets, driving rovers on Mars, finding out what planets are made of or how deep alien oceans are, pi takes us far at NASA. Find out how pi helps us explore space.
› Read more
Article: 10 Ways to Celebrate Pi Day with NASA Article: 10 Ways to Celebrate Pi Day with NASA – Whether you're doing it for the nerd cred or the pie, here are all the ways you can celebrate Pi Day with NASA.
› Read more
Share: Pi Day – What's Going 'Round Share: Pi Day – What's Going 'Round – Tell us how you're celebrating Pi Day this year.
› Share your story