NASA/JPL Educator Workshop - How Coding Helps Us Explore Mars

Title: Educator Workshop – How Coding Helps Us Explore Mars
NASA/JPL Educator Workshop - How Coding Helps Us Explore Mars

NASA/JPL Educator Workshop – How Coding Helps Us Explore Mars

When: Saturday, July 13, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Where: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California

Audience: Educators for grades 4-12

Overview: When NASA wants to explore Mars, we have to rely on robotic instruments to be our hands and our eyes. Working from millions of miles away means we can't directly interact with Mars, but instead program a spacecraft to interact with the planet for us. In this workshop, we will introduce educators to programming tools such as Scratch and Python, which students can use to design a Mars rover mission capable of analyzing the terrain it encounters.

› Register online

  • This workshop is limited to 40 participants.
  • Attendees are asked to bring a laptop with Ethernet capability.
  • This workshop is not available online; you must be physically present to participate.
  • This workshop is limited to educators at U.S.-based institutions and organizations.

Questions? Call the Educator Resource Center at 818-393-5917.

Can't attend the workshop? Explore these standards-aligned lessons and resources online.

Explore Mars With Scratch

Lesson: Explore Mars With Scratch (Grades 3-8) – Students learn about surface features on Mars, then use a visual programming language to create a Mars exploration game.

Lesson: Robotics: Creating a Roving Science Lab

Lesson: Robotics: Creating a Roving Science Lab (Grades 6-9) – In this challenge, students will program a rover to use a color sensor on several rock samples, allowing them to simulate how the Mars Curiosity rover uses it's ChemCam instrument to analyze light emitted from geological samples on Mars.

Lesson: Robotics: Engineering a Rocket Transporter

Lesson – Robotics: Engineering a Rocket Transporter (Grades 6-9) – Students design, build and program a robotic “super crawler” to transport a payload from a starting position to a target launch pad, deliver the payload in an upright position and return the robot to the starting point.

This free workshop is offered through the NASA/JPL Educator Resource Center, which provides formal and informal educators with NASA resources and materials that support STEM learning.

NASA/JPL Edu
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Dr
Pasadena, CA 91109