The 2019 NASA Pi Day Challenge Is Here!

Title: The 2019 Pi Day Challenge is Here

The 2019 NASA Pi Day Challenge Is Here!

The excitement of Pi Day – and our annual excuse to chow down on pie – is upon us! The holiday celebrating the mathematical constant pi arrives on March 14. Get the celebration started with the 2019 installment of NASA's Pi Day Challenge – now available!

› Explore the 2019 Pi Day Challenge lesson!

This illustrated problem set from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory's Education Office gives students in grades 6-12 a chance to solve four real-world problems faced by NASA scientists and engineers. This year, students will use their math skills (and pi) to weather through a Mars dust storm, size up a shrinking storm on Jupiter, estimate the water content of a rain cloud on Earth and blast ice samples with lasers! Answers will be available March 15.

To read about the science behind the challenge and find resources for bringing Pi Day into the classroom visit our Teachable Moments blog.

Explore More Pi Day Resources

Pi Day Challenge Lessons Lessons: Pi Day (Grades 4-12) – Find everything you need to bring the NASA Pi Day Challenge into the classroom, including free posters and handouts available to download.

NASA Pi Day Challenge Slideshow Slideshow: NASA Pi Day Challenge (Grades 4-12) – Students take on problems from the entire NASA Pi Day Challenge collection in one handy slideshow.
Share: Pi Day – What's Going 'Round Pi Day: What’s Going ‘Round – Tell us what you’re up to this Pi Day and share your stories and photos with NASA. And join the conversation with @NASAJPL_Edu on Twitter using the hashtag #NASAPiDayChallenge
Feature: 18 Ways NASA Uses Pi Feature: 18 Ways NASA Uses Pi - Whether it's sending spacecraft to other planets, driving rovers on Mars, finding out what planets are made of or how deep alien oceans are, pi takes us far at NASA. Find out how pi helps us explore space.
Blog: How Many Decimals of Pi Do We Really Need? Blog: How Many Decimals of Pi Do We Really Need? - Though there are those who have memorized more than 70,000 digits of pi, JPL engineer Marc Rayman explains why you really only need a tiny fraction of that for even the highest-accuracy calculations at NASA.